As some of you may know, Ben and I bought a house about a year ago. We closed on it on my birthday, which made for a fantastic birthday present.
It’s a townhouse – 3 stories, 2 bedrooms, 2.5 bath – and most importantly, it’s within the beltway. While we knew we were going to move a bit farther from the city, we didn’t want to be too far. Especially since we knew it would be likely that the move would mean that we’d need to start driving to work. This place gives us the option of either taking the metro or driving.
While the house was pretty much move in ready, there were a few things here and there that needed to be done.
For example: right when we moved in, we purchased a new washer and dryer. I think the old ones were original from when the place was built in the 1980s. We purchased the LG front loading washer and dryer – against the recommendation of my mother and my sister. However, we really like it.
We also painted the living room. The color is Dolphin Fin by Behr and I really like it.
Although everything else that we said we wanted to do we never got around to it. Once we hit the one year mark, we realized we needed to get on it. So in the next couple of weeks we have an electrician coming to install recessed lighting in the office/laundry room (it’s technically below ground and has no installed light. The lamp we’ve put down there just isn’t cutting it), we’re painting the entry way and halls (Gentle Rain, also by Behr). We’re still debating colors for the other rooms. We’re having a hard time deciding on the office/laundry room. I’m hoping that once we get some light in there, we will have a better time deciding on a color.
My DIY project was the fireplace. It was a maple wood color, which was just ok in the room. I really wanted to paint it white; i thought the contrast against the grey would look pretty and it would match all the trim in the room. So last Saturday, I made that fireplace my project.
First, I needed to sand the fireplace to remove the finish. I used 60 and 220 sandpaper to sand the whole thing down. I didn’t need to take too much off, and it was actually much quicker than I expected. People talk about sanding as being a terrible task. I think it took me a little under an hour to do the whole piece.
Next, we got a can on Behr Paint and Primer in one with no color added – so it’s a stark white. And start painting. I have put 4 coats on, and some places could use another coat. But I think the 5th coat will be the final.
You can also see the Boston photo in the top half of the photo. That’s a framed old school photo of the city that Ben has had since college. It’s really cool to see how the city has changed. For example, the area where BU is now is looks like farmland…
I’ll keep posting photos as we get the place situated. I’m super excited to decorate it for Christmas!